What are the advantages of Red Shield VPN over other services?
10 reasons to use Red Shield VPN:
1. Fast and powerful servers, each fully encrypted. Unlike most services, we do not use slow and insecure virtual servers.
2. One account can be used simultaneously on 7 devices.
3. Truly unlimited traffic and no speed limit.
4. The IP addresses of traffic input and output are always different, which makes it difficult to monitor traffic and determine whether a VPN is being used.
5. Protection against IPv6, WebRTC, DNS leaks.
6. Cheaper than almost all other services.
7. Do not earn on the sale of user traffic and its analysis, as do the free VPN.
8. Unlike browser plugins, it encrypts all traffic from the device, including DNS requests.
9. Torrents work on any location.
10. Own processing of Bitcoin and Dash.
What is a VPN and why is it needed?
VPN is an encrypted tunnel between your device and our server.
All traffic from your device is routed through this tunnel. It turns out that you access the Internet from a server in the country to which you are connected.
The tunnel is encrypted and prevents local intelligence agencies and other third parties from intercepting your data and even finding out what resources you are using.
How do I start using Red Shield VPN?
What is a location?
This is the place (country, city) where our servers are located. By connecting to any location, you will physically go online in the corresponding city or country.
How many devices can I connect to one VPN account?
You can install the application and log into your account on any number of devices, but at the same time you can connect to the VPN only from 7 devices.
How does a VPN differ from a browser plugin often called VPN or Opera VPN?Browser plugins (they can also be called proxies) send only browser traffic through their nodes, while VPN - all traffic from the device.
Some browser plugins do not encrypt traffic at all and transmit it over the open SOCKS5 protocol - this only allows you to bypass blocking, but not hide traffic.
At the same time, advanced DPI systems can block resources within the SOCKS5 protocol. Thus, the traffic is fully available for interception by local intelligence services and other third parties
Even if the plug-in encrypts traffic, your device transmits DNS queries in clear text, by which you can find out which resources you are accessing.
Why pay for a VPN when free services are available?
There are two business models for VPN services:
1) You pay for the service with money;
2) You pay for the service with your data.
There is another, very rare case - when the service has one or more sponsors, but in this case the service shares your data with them, that is, in fact, this is the second case.
Free VPNs sell your data to everyone, and they regularly leak user databases because their business model doesn't have a reputation to protect.
They close the leaked brand and open a new one the next day.
Our service offers a fair deal: you pay for your subscription with money for which we support and develop the service.
What if after connecting to a VPN, the internet becomes slow?
The Internet is complex, and not always connecting to the geographically closest location provides the highest speed and lowest latency.
1. Try to connect to a different location. To do this, click or tap on the location on the main page of the application and select another one from the list.
2. Try to change the protocol in the application settings.
By default, optimal protocols are selected in applications, but some providers may slow down some protocol.
You can measure the speed to our server while connected to it at https://st.redshieldvpn.com.
Each application supports multiple protocols.
Windows app supports IKEv2, OpenVPN and OpenConnect.
IOS and macOS apps support IKEv2 and OpenVPN.
Android app - OpenVPN and OpenConnect.
The service also supports the fastest and most modern WireGuard protocol - you can connect using it using open source applications or a router that supports this protocol.
And you can get the configurations in the Personal Area.
What is the difference between the protocols supported by Red Shield VPN?
In terms of security, practically nothing: all protocols use the AES128 or AES256 encryption algorithm and similar key exchange methods.
WireGuard is the fastest and most modern. But, unfortunately, its
support is not yet available in our applications, but we are working on
it. While it can be configured manually using the configurator in your
· IKEv2 - slightly slower than WireGuard, but faster than others. It is specific to the carrier network (NAT) and may not work on some carriers.
· OpenVPN - more passable than the IKEv2, but less fast.
· OpenConnect - the speed is something between IKEv2 and OpenVPN, but has a useful feature: mask traffic under TLS (regular web traffic).
By default, the optimal protocol is selected in each application, and it is necessary to change it only in case of problems with stability or connection speed.
What ports are used by your service protocols?
· WireGuard: UDP/51820, UDP/53, UDP/143, UDP/123.
· OpenVPN: UDP/443, TCP/8080, TCP/80, TCP/8000, TCP/22, UDP/80.
· Cisco AnyConnect (OpenConnect): TCP/443, UDP/400.
· IKEv2: UDP/500, UDP/4500.
Can i connect a router to your VPN?
Yes. We recommend using the fastest and most secure WireGuard protocol.
If your router does not support WireGuard, but does support OpenVPN, you can get the configuration file in the Personal Area and upload it to the router.
What information about my account do you store?
We store the minimum information necessary for the service to work: your mail, hashed password, data required to connect to a VPN, payment history.
All this information you can get in the "Profile" section of the personal area by requesting data under the GDPR. In the same section, you can completely delete your account.
Frequently asked questions about the work of applications are in the sections:
· iPhone / iPad